Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Aero Davis

Installed a set of mini clip-on aero bars in an effort to "buy" speed at Davis.  I'm reasonably comfortable on them without unusual or excessive discomfort.  Arm rests don't flip out of the way, so they eat up some space on the tops of the handlebar, interfering with climbing position slightly.  On the other hand, on flat roads I'm riding 1.5-2.0 mph faster, seemingly a worthwhile trade-off.  One potential problem with the aerobar on double centuries is the bar makes me work harder.  When I get in the aerodynamic position my brain thinks I have to go fast/hard and the legs listen to the brain, so off I go.  I have to figure out a way to ride in the aero position at LSteadyD pace and reap the benefits of the position without doing the extra work.  And, to boot, I am riding with my friend David who has never ridden a double century and whose longest ride ever is 90 miles.  But David is strong in the legs and in the head -- the latter probably more important than the former -- and I am confident he'll do well.

.

No comments: